WEDDING PLANNING & EVENT MANAGEMENT


September 10, 2008

Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Tropical Storms, and Weddings


The title of this post reminds me of the old Sesame Street song


"One of these kids is not like the other
3 of these things are kind of the same
Can you guess which one is not like the others..."

Hanna did a number on the East Coast last weekend and Ike is close behind her. I was so glad not to have any events scheduled, but then I thought about my colleagues who probably had to manage their events in this terrible weather. I asked a few of them to share their experiences with me and my readers.

Mark Kingsdorf, owner of The Queen of Hearts Wedding Consultants, had to move the wedding indoors.

"Fortunately it was a smaller wedding at 105 and the bride, groom and I had
already discussed the likelihood that we would NOT be outside as planned…
Seating in the room is 'intimate'. We got in seats for about 80 – with the
officiant, bride, groom and bridal party. We had 11 standing- a few seats in the
adjoining parlor for late comers and we were great."

NOTE: Always have a plan B, especially when planning an outdoor event.

Our friend, Tabitha Dantzler of Elite Bridal Concierge in North Carolina offered a few suggestions:

"If I had to offer any advice to anyone planning a beach wedding or an outdoor
wedding in any part of the coastal region of NC, I would make sure that they
were aware of our hurricane season and that September is our official hurricane
month. It almost never fails that we have several storms out at sea this time of
the year. I would also inform them that if they must have their
wedding during this time, it is imperative that they have a back up
plan and should always be prepared to evacuate and/or cease their event by a
certain time due to mandatory curfews. For example, I live part-time in our
coastal region and this weekend some areas in my vicinity
had curfews of 7:00 p.m."

I'll be posting more from Tabitha tomorrow, because she shared a great story that is worthy of it's own post.

Christina Mitchell of Heaven Sent Wedding Consultants spent her day battling the blinding blankets of rain on her windshield to travel to Delaware to meet with clients.

"Needless to say both clients were very happy that I made the trip out
to see them. They both said they thought I would cancel... but that's
just another day making clients happy in the Heaven Sent Wedding
Consultants world."