WEDDING PLANNING & EVENT MANAGEMENT


January 25, 2008

If You're Gonna DIY, Do It Right


I just got my very own copy of The DIY Bride: 40 Fun Projects for Your Ultimate One-of-a-Kind Wedding by Khris Cochran (you may be familiar with her website DIYBride.com). I am so excited to try some of the projects for myself.

The very first picture of a candle favor with a box of matches caught my attention. What a great idea! How many people give candles as favors without matches? Why make your guests find their own? (instructions on page 190)

Page 4 shows a very pretty seating chart. The instructions can be found later in the book. Unbelievably affordable to make this one: $15 compared to the store cost of $100.

Unlike many how-to authors, Khris tells you where to shop for the most common craft tools and supplies (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Target, and Wal-Mart). She also gives you a detailed schedule to tell you when in the the planning process to start each project. For example, 6 to 8 months ahead, you can do the save the date cards.

My favorites so far are the "Party Time" and "It's a Girl Thing" projects. These are projects to do with your wedding party and/or girlfriends. Although the book includes projects for couples, it may be difficult to get your dude to sit still unless you hot glue him to the chair.

Mission Possible: I am going to try a few of these crafts for myself to determine the level of difficulty and the cost involved. There are some things in the book that too good to have been done by hand. I know Khris is amazing, but I want to know if I can do it too. Wish me luck!