WEDDING PLANNING & EVENT MANAGEMENT


May 22, 2012

DIY Wedding Decor

As I'm digging myself out of email hell (you wouldn't believe how many unread emails I have - mostly junk), I came across an email that I normally wouldn't have opened. As a matter of fact, I opened it to find the "unsubscribe" link. Then, something told me to go to the website to see if they have anything new and, more importantly, improved. 


Usually, when brides tell me they are ordering wedding items from Oriental Trading, the hair stands up on my arms. Not because they don't have any good stuff, but because buying too many items from their site will make your wedding look like a cheap birthday party instead of the "simple but elegant" wedding you had in mind. 

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this picture at Oriental Trading. 


These are marble-look fluted pillars. They are made of cardboard and come in sets of 2 in the 3 sizes shown here. What I like about this picture, is that it shows you how to pull this off without looking cheesy. This is a pretty way to decorate the entrance to your reception... especially for your formal introductions. It could also serve as the backdrop for your ceremony if your venue doesn't already offer a picturesque setting. 

As always, remember that DIY stands for "do it yourself" not "do it BY yourself". Find someone, other than your wedding party or parents, to deliver and assemble your projects on the day of the wedding. 

Muchos Smooches